The success of our organization depends on the contributions of our volunteers. There are numerous ways to become involved from joining us on a trip as a rehabilitation professional or support worker to assisting with fundraising or administrative duties at home. We encourage you to seriously consider the expectations of our volunteers and evaluate what skills and talents you could contribute. While it is a big commitment to become involved we can assure you that you will get more than you give from this rewarding experience!
Criteria/Expectations for Healing Hands Team
- Must be able to tolerate working in very hot and less than ideal conditions.
- Must be able to tolerate unfamiliar diet.
- Should be able to aid in lifting 60 lbs. consistently.
- Personal belongings must fit into carry on luggage.
- Must be willing to share living and sleeping accommodations with other team members.
- Be flexible
- Team player
- Have fun
- Be creative
- Willing to learn about new cultures and social realities, in potentially challenging and insecure environments.
- Be respectful of the local culture and people as we are guests in another country.
- Participate in group cultural events in the evening and weekends which are a vital part of the entire experience.
- Work professionally within your field of expertise, in a spirit of cooperation and respect.
- Must be willing to pay for own airfare, food and housing or do appropriate fundraising.
- Participate in team fundraising activities.
- Out of town team mates are encouraged and expected to initiate and conduct their own fundraising activities. To ensure efforts are in keeping with team principles, all activities related to fundraising must be reviewed and approved by the Events Coordination committee.
- Pay a non-refundable down payment $100 for room and board and transportation once flights are booked.
- Must be willing to use own vacation or free time.
- Must cover costs of own insurance, passport, immunizations, personal medications.
- Send application, resumes and copies professional licenses and passport to Team Leader no later than 8 weeks prior to departure.
- You must register with the Canadian consulate in Haiti before you arrive.
- While a team nurse will provide guidance and contacts for immunizations, each volunteer should contact their own family physician and local travel clinic to ensure immunizations are complete and up to date. Contact local health clinics for immunizations that are not considered travel-related Hepatitis A, B, C, MMR, polio, tetanus, and meningitis. Health clinics are generally less expensive than travel clinics.
- Arrange for travel ⁄ health insurance for duration of trip, including departure and arrival dates.
- Attend (in person for local, teleconference for out-of-town) planning meetings whenever possible, and review minutes of meetings when not able to attend.
- Participate in all activities as a team member during the months of pre trip preparation period and the mission.
- Be willing to participate on committees, assist in group fundraising for team costs such as translators and equipment.
- Be willing to participate in public education and publicity about our work.
- Assist in acquisition of donated supplies such as medical equipment and pharmaceuticals, school and orphanage supplies, once Needs List generated.
- Must have current passport and get vaccinations.
- Must be willing to share your heart and fall in love with some of the most precious children of the world.
- Work long and busy days and evenings in the field, with planning, debriefing and preparations in evenings.
- Following skilled areas needed:
- Occupational Therapy
- Therapy Assistants
- Nursing Assistants
- Social Work
- Speech Language Pathology
- Audiology, and audioprosthesis
- Massage Therapy
- Wheelchair Technicians
- Language translation (French or Creole)
- Construction/maintenance experience
- Computer skills with available equipment
- Photography with available equipment
- Organizational skills/Team work
- Planning and problem solving skills
- Effective note taking
- Publicity and fund raising
What it Costs
Our organization functions entirely as a volunteer, not-for-profit organization, and as such we are all responsible for covering the costs of our initiatives.
For each trip, costs include round-trip airfare, ground transportation, room and board. Additional team costs can include transportation within the host country, translators, team shirts, departure taxes, visas, medical equipment and supplies, packing supplies, stationary, printing and postage. As much as possible we seek to obtain donated equipment and supplies.
A typical 7 day trip can cost approximatelly $2000.
Please ask regarding costs for a specific trip, as they can change based on current air fares, length of stay, size of the group, and planned projects.
Individually, additional costs include immunizations, passport, local souvenir shopping and cultural events.
Send applications to: email@example.com
Team Canada Healing Hands
PO Box 1313 Station A
Fredericton, NB, E3B5C8
See our volunteer guide for more information.